Monday, January 11, 2010

Calamity Jack Day 2: What Sold Me



Today we continue on with the Kidz Book Buzz featuring an action-packed, adventurous, fun-filled new release by husband and wife, Shannon and Dean Hale, with Nathan Hale (no relation) as the illustrator. These authors and illustrator are very well know for their work and this one is no exception! I have not read anything by them before but I already have my Amazon shopping cart filled with the rest of their collection!

Today, I want to focus on what sold me on Calamity Jack. As previously mentioned, this is the first graphic novel I've reviewed. I get it, take it out of the envelope it was shipped in and I see this remarkable cover. Very bright and exciting! There is this crazy looking ghostbuster kinda guy, a guy in a suit that reminds me of a gambler, and a feisty red headed girl. Then I open the next page and the page is in black and white (common for ARC copy). It was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! It is obvious that Nathan put his heart into this book. The drawing are so intricate and I looked at it for quite some time just taking in all the different "little things" that was going to make this book. I was not disappointed after that either. Each page brought forth the story to life in a way that I could not have imagined on my own. Don't get me wrong, the story is great...I loved it! The graphics are what absolutely sold me though!

I can see using this book for the reluctant reader and I can also see it being used as a tool for the artist who hasn't fully discovered his potential yet. A thorough study of this book could lead to many artistic understandings. I will use this book in my homeschooling with my children.

Our featured authors/illustrator have really cool websites that I hope you'll take a few minutes to check out. Just look at the addresses and know that you are in for a treat!

Shannon’s: http://www.squeetus.com/stage/main.html

Dean’s: http://www.dreadcrumbs.com/

Nathan’s: http://spacestationnathan.blogspot.com/
(This is one awesome blog. Be sure to click back on older posts for a really fun interview!)

I also recommend you check out these other bloggers featuring this book this week! You're in for a treat when seeing what they have to say!

Sally Apokedak, Reading is my Superpower, firesidemusings.blogspot.com, Through the Looking Glass Book Review , Booking Mama, Cafe of Dreams, Becky’s Book Reviews, The Hungry Readers, The Friendly Book Book, My Own Little Corner of the World, Book Blather, GreenBeanTeenQueen, Book Crumbs , Abby (the) Librarian, Dolce Bellezza, Homeschoolbuzz.com, The Book Cellar, Carrie’s YA Bookshelf, Bookshelf Monstrosity, Everyday Reading, Frenetic Reader, KidzBookBuzz.com, Maw Books


Thank you to the publisher for providing my review copy of this book!

I am an Amazon Associate. By clicking on links to books and making a purchase, you are helping to support my book buying habit, albeit very minimally.
Bookmark and Share







No comments:

Post a Comment